"Hockey commentary is challenging at the best of times due to the speed of the game. Add the additional challenges of hockey broadcasting in Australia & getting it right is an amazing feeling. Australian hockey and the coverage is very different to North American and European hockey."
Eric Brook about hockey commentary
Based in western Sydney, Eric Brook has recently developed into a dependable source of information and knowledge in various sports. He is prepared to contribute to anything he puts his mind to, either as the person at the front of the coverage or behind the scenes. He is not beyond putting in long hours including travel to help sports coverage succeed. Often, commentary duties are done in less than ideal conditions in temporary facilities which are very unlike those in sports with mainstream media coverage.
Eric has a wide range of skills from production to commentary, social media, writing and speaking. He is able to relate to a wide range of people in production environments as well as the varying types of audience members that listen or watch the sports that Eric is commentating on. Especially in terms of ice hockey in Australia, there is a wide range of people in the audience ranging from local hockey civilians with basic knowledge at best all the way through to hardcore local and international fans. Often, family members of participants are listening/watching Eric’s coverage which in many cases is the only way they can follow their family member’s sporting career.
Eric is keen to develop his knowledge and skills and values developing his colleagues around him. As his career has developed, Eric has been a member of an expanded commentary and production team and enjoys the live sporting and production environment.
- January 2014 – First hockey game (spectator), Portland Winterhawks v Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
- March 2014 – First Australian hockey game (spectator), Sydney Ice Dogs v Newcastle Northstars (AIHL pre-season game)
- April 2014 – First Australian regular season hockey game (spectator), Sydney Bears v Adelaide Adrenaline (AIHL)
- 2014 – 2015: Writer, Hewitt Sports Network
- 2014 – 2015: Erk To The Penalty Box podcast
- August 2014 – August 2016: Social Media Co-ordinator, Sydney Bears (AIHL)
- 2015 – 2016: Committee Member, Sydney Bears (AIHL)
- April 2016 – present: Commentator, various AIHL games
- January 2017 – present: Commentator, various AWIHL games
- June 2017: First hockey game as a player (Mascot Jets, Beerginners)
- 2017 – Writer, Grassroots Sports
- October 2017 – First cricket commentary role (Hawkesbury v Northern Districts, Sydney grade cricket, T20)
- 2018 – Various roles, Newcastle Northstars media team (AIHL)
- August/September 2018: Executive Producer, Hawkesbury Radio rugby league coverage (NSWRL)
- September 2018: Commentator, Hawkesbury Radio rugby league coverage (NSWRL)
- September 2018 – present: Commentator, Hawkesbury Radio 2018/2019 Summer Of Cricket
- October 2018 – present: Commentator/co-host, AWIHL Live (AWIHL)